Steps to providing GTxcel access to your Apple Developer License
Once the Developer Program application has been accepted & approved and the Developer License has been granted by Apple, you will need to give GTxcel access to BOTH the iOS Developer Portal on the Apple Developer Site and your iTunes Connect account. Access is needed to the iOS Developer Portal to create & assemble the files necessary to build the app. Access is needed to iTunes Connect to submit the app once it has been built.
iOS Provisioning Portal on the Apple Developer Site
(If you already have a developer license, please read the section below)
- GTxcel will need Admin Access to the iOS Provisioning Portal for the initial build of the app.
To provide Admin access:
- Log into developer.apple.com and go to the iOS Provisioning Portal
- Visit the Member Center (the link is currently near the top of the page)
- Click the “People” tab in the upper menu bar
- Invite a Person – Send invite to: [yourcompanyname]-email@example.com and give ‘Admin’ access – For example: firstname.lastname@example.org
- With Admin access, GTxcel will:
- Create a distribution certificate that can be used to build your apps and submit them to the App Store.
- Add a maximum of 6 GTxcel devices to your list of provisioned devices.
- Create the necessary provisioning profiles to build the app.
- Create a push notification certificate for the app.
- GTxcel should keep its Admin access for follow up resubmissions of the app needed for maintenance and yearly renewal of the license to upgrade the certificates and provisioning profile.
iTunes Connect Account
- GTxcel will need App Manager access to the publisher’s iTunes Connect account. This access will not give GTxcel access to any financial information or the developer account.
- With Technical Access, GTxcel will:
- Submit the app to the App Store.
- Create the products needed for In-App purchase options if used.
- To provide GTxcel Technical access, do the following:
- Go to iTunes Connect:
- Log into the Apple Developer Site and then click on iTunes Connect on the right hand side under Apple Developer Program
- Or go directly to iTunes Connect at: https://itunesconnect.apple.com
- Log in
- Click on Manage Users near the bottom section of the screen.
- Click on iTunes Connect User if prompted.
- Click on Add New User.
- First Name: GTxcel
- Last Name: Inc
- Send invite to: [yourcompanyname]-email@example.com and give ‘Technical’ access – For example: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click Continue.
- Check off ‘Technical’ access & ‘Continue’.
- For Notification Type, select ‘App Status’ For the United States.
iOS Paid Applications Contract
If the app will be using In-App purchase to sell single issues and subscriptions or using the Newsstand to offer a FREE subscription, You must also complete the ‘iOS Paid Applications Contract‘ within iTunes Connect. This will involve supplying financial information to Apple.
- Log into iTunes Connect: https://itunesconnect.apple.com
- Click on Contracts, Tax, and Banking.
- Under Request Contracts, click on ‘Request’ to request the iOS Paid Applications Contract.
- Review the agreement
- Provide the financial information requested.
Yearly License Renewal
The Apple Developer’s License and all the associated files and certificates will need to be updated once a year. It is the publisher’s responsibility to renew the license on time and to pay for the license renewal.
If the license is not renewed and expires, GTxcel will not be able to resubmit the app. Re-submittals of apps are required regularly to update certain information in the app such as graphics, launch images, keywords, bug fixes, and new features.
When the license is renewed, GTxcel will need to rebuild the app with the updated files and certificates. To do this, GTxcel will need ADMIN access again to the publisher’s Apple Developer account and TECHNICAL access to the publisher’s iTunes Connect account.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cost split with Apple and when & how will I get paid?
The split is 70/30, where Apple gets 30% of all sales.
Payments are received approximately 30 days after the end of the month in which the sales were made. The payment will be electronically deposited into your (the publisher’s) bank account that is sync’d with your iTunes Connect account. Sales history, pending payments and payment history can be viewed by logging into your iTunes Connect account.
My app is already live, why do I need to get my own license now?
Due to new requirements by Apple, Apple will not approve any re-submittal of an existing app that is not built under the publisher’s license. Re-submittals of apps are required regularly to update certain information in the app such as graphics, launch images, keywords, bug fixes, and new features.
What if I cannot give GTxcel Admin access to my account?
If you cannot provide or choose not to give GTxcel access to your Apple Developer account, you will need to create and send all the required files to GTxcel. GTxcel will build the app and send the file back to the publisher to submit to Apple via iTunes Connect.
The publisher will have to create and send the following files to GTxcel.
- Developer Certificate
- Distribution Certificate Private Key & Password (.p12 file)
- App ID
- Push notification Certificate
- Add GTxcel Devices
- AdHoc Provisioning Profile
- Store Provisioning Profile
Please contact your Digital Specialist for detailed instructions on gathering these files.
How is my current app switched over to a new license?
Apple allows apps to be seamlessly transferred from one account to another. All GTxcel needs is your Apple ID & your Team ID, which can be found in the Member Center in the Apple Developer Portal.
For Android, there are several steps to switching the app over to the new license.
- Remove old app from App store
Once Google & Amazon approve the new apps, we will remove the old apps from the stores. If desired, we can remove the old app immediately while the new app is waiting for approval. If this option is chosen, no app will appear in the store until the new app is approved.
- Notify app users
Once the new app is live in the store, an in-app message can be deployed to all current users, using the old app.
- Users of the old app will not have access to new content until they download the new app.
- The message can be customized and can include a link to the new app in the app store.
- There is no limit to the amount of characters used in the message. However care should be given to keep the message as short as possible to avoid the user from having to scroll. The longer the message, the less likely the user will read it.
- No special characters or formatting can be used in the message
- The message will appear when the user first opens the app and will reappear each time the app is opened.
- A close button will appear at the bottom of the text; up to three buttons can be utilized to close the app, link to the new app, or to an external site.
- Sample message is shown:
Will moving the app under my publisher license affect my tracking and reporting statistics?
No, all tracking and reporting statistics will be carried over to the new app.